Bryant's map, 1824

Bryant's maps are noted fro their careful delineation of individual houses. The map is interesting for its inaccuracies - 'Gollicott Lane', and the importance given to Cow Lane and its link to Church Lane. Note also the stream running along the main street, prior to the building of the culvert.

text below from Shapero Rare Books

"Author: BRYANT, A.

"Title: Map of the County of Buckingham from actual Survey by A. Bryant, in the year 1824 Inscribed by Permission to His Grace The Duke of Buckingham and Chandos, Lord Lietenant, and to the Nobility, Clergy and Gentry, of the County.

"Description: Bryant, London 1825. Engraved map in FINE CONTEMPORARY HAND-COLOUR, printed on six sheets and dissected and mounted on linen in two sections, edged in green silk, folding into original green morocco endpapers, housed within a fine pull-off case in contemporary blind-tooled calf, lettered in gilt. Dimensions: (if joined) 2010 by 1120mm. (79 by 44 inches). Scale: 1.5 inches to one mile.

"The first and only edition. A superbly detailed map in the Bryant tradition. One of thirteen counties surveyed between 1822 and 1835. The detail includes towns, villages churches, buildings, castles, parks, gentlemen´s seats, commons, heaths and hills, parish and other boundaries, broads, fens, canals, wind and water-mills, fox covers, roads, lanes, toll-bars and rivers. The lower sheet contains the usual large calligraphic title, an `Explanation´ and `Scale of Miles´, plus Bryant´s careful delineation of cities and towns in an ichnographical manner; one of the great advances of the large-scale map over its atlas counterpart."

Page updated Sep 18 by SKF