John Roots 1881-1915
Additonal information contributed by Patrick Gariepy who is writing a book about the Gallipoli campaign and the men who fought and died there. He would welcome any information and enquiries and can be contacted at
- ROOTS, Sergeant John
- No.48 ?A? Squadron Buckinghamshire Hussars
- Born abt 1881 in in Edenham, Lincolnshire
- Seventh of nine children (and fourth of four sons) of William John Roots, farmer (died August 2, 1909, at Rookery Farm, Tingewick, Buckinghamshire), and Elizabeth Mary (née Pattison) Roots of Rookery Farm.
- 1901 (census) he was working on a farm in Lowick, Northamptonshire.
- Enlisted in Buckingham, Bucks.
- Killed in action during the assault on Chocolate Hill, Suvla, on August 21, 1915, aged 34 years.
- Name commemorated on the Helles Memorial, Turkey and the Tingewick War Memorial, Buckinghamshire.