Click on an image to enlarge © Su Floyd
|The South wall was rebuilt in 1831 ... (see windows page)||... but replaced with a new South Aisle in 1851|
(2). Parish Church of St Mary Magdalene, stands at the E. end of the village. The walls of the chancel and W. tower are of coursed rubble with ashlar dressings; those of the N. aisle are of rough rubble, all of grey limestone. The roofs are covered with slate. The three eastern bays of the Nave were built probably in the 12th century. The North Aisle, of four bays, was added in 1200-1210 and the nave was then lengthened. Late in the 15th century the Chancel was rebuilt and the West Tower added. The N. aisle was partly rebuilt and apparently widened in the 17th or 18th century . In the 19th century a South Aisle and South Porch were added, the nave was widened about 6 in. towards the S., and the church was restored.
Page updated Sep 18 by SKF